Back on Track

Virtual Advising Center

Definitions of Student Academic Status

A student's Academic Status is determined after grades are processed at the end of each term and according to Academic Senate Regulation 515.B.

A student will be in one of three academic status categories for the term.

  • Good Standing
    The student's term and cumulative grade point average (GPA) are 2.0 or higher.
  • Academic Probation
    The student's term GPA is at least 1.5 but less than 2.0 or the cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 and the student is not Subject to Disqualification.
  • Subject to Disqualification
    The student's term GPA is less than 1.5 or the student completed two successive terms on Academic Probation and the cumulative GPA is below 2.0.
  • For more information and suggestions to return to good standing
    View Google Slides presentation

What Now? - Academic notices not created for Winter 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2021, Spring 2021

If your academic status for the term is either Academic Probation or Subject to Disqualification, go to the Academic Notice tab on the VAC to review and follow the terms of your academic notice.

Virtual Advising Center

(Contact your College's Academic Advising Office if an academic notice has not been posted in the VAC within three weeks after grades are final.)

Frequently Asked Questions

No, unless you are academically disqualified from the University. The "disqualified" is removed from the transcript if you are readmitted.

You must earn a term and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.

Subject to disqualification means your quarter and cumulative GPA have not met the academic standards set forth by the University (see Academic Senate Regulation 515.B). Your academic record will be reviewed by your college and your continued registration will be at the discretion of your college provost. Notification is made as quickly as possible through the VAC.

Academic disqualification means you are prohibited from further enrollment in classes at UC San Diego.

If you have been academically disqualified, you will have an opportunity to appeal the disqualification. Your academic notice will address this in detail.

To be in good standing, your term and cumulative GPA must be 2.0 or higher.

Good academic standing is defined by the University as being eligible for continued enrollment. In order to participate in co-curricular activities at the University, students must remain in "good academic standing.” For purposes of participation in intercollegiate athletics at UC San Diego, the University, its athletic conference(s) and the NCAA have additional academic requirements beyond remaining in "good academic standing.”

Specifically, the University requires student-athletes to maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative UC-GPA to be eligible to compete. In addition to needing to remain in "good academic standing" at all times, each student-athlete’s academic record is evaluated at the end of each quarter to verify GPA and other applicable academic eligibility requirements.

Eligibility evaluations are completed by the University Registrar’s Office in conjunction with the Intercollegiate Athletics Department each quarter.

If you are academically disqualified, you will be dropped from all of your classes.

Please contact the Certifying Veterans Benefits official in the Office of the Registrar.

Notify your college Academic Advising office through the VAC immediately.

Academic Success: Campus Resources provides links to the colleges, departments, libraries, and many other campus support services and tools.

See Also

Find resources to help you improve academic achievement, learn new study habits and techniques, and more.

Student Academic Success